• Social Security Disability Attorney
  • Workers’ Compensation Law Firm

What Percentage Is An Employer Responsible For Paying On Medical Bills?

By gotdenied-administration-March 27, 2016

QUESTION: My father got hurt at work. His employer’s insurance is paying for the medical bills, but only 80% of his normal pay. Why isn’t his employer responsible for paying the other 20% since it wasn’t his fault that he was injured?

Biebuyck_Row 5_SI for blog


ANSWER: Your father’s employer is not required to make up the difference in his normal pay. When a situation like this happens, a worker’s average weekly wage is calculated based on the past year of work. Under Michigan Workers’ Compensation law, a person typically receives 80% of that average weekly wage before taxes.